As part of our worldwide commitment to sustainability, Fujitsu takes a proactive approach to the collection and recycling of eWaste in our operations and community, and that’s a key priority for us. Our customers trust us to handle their eWaste and conduct thorough due diligence on their behalf. The correct handling of eWaste is important for many reasons:
- Conserve natural resources and recover material for reuse. Around 95% of eWaste (by volume) can be recycled and reused.
- Secure data destruction
- Prevent environmental damage by ensuring potentially toxic materials are safely handled
- Avoid eWaste ending up at an illegal eWaste dump – causing damage to human health & the environment, as well as brand damage if asset tagged or branded equipment is detected
- Save money on the costs of operating, storing and disposing of end-of-life equipment
- Compliance with legal and environmental obligations. eWaste is banned from landfill in SA and a similar ban will be introduced in Victoria from 1 July 2019.
The UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), otherwise known as the Global Goals, are a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity. At Fujitsu, our vision is to use technology and innovation to create a “human centric intelligent society”, aligned with the efforts of the international community toward achieving the SDGs. Sustainable Development Goal 12: Responsible Consumption & Production calls on everyone to take actions to promote a circular economy, educating and assisting our value chain to minimise waste.